Friday, October 10, 2008

Digital Storytelling

I attribute this story to my dearest roommate Steffy Sue. She wrote this story for her Astronomy class a few weeks ago and she gave me permission to use it for this assignment. When she first read it to us, we knew that it needed to be made into a children's book. But we made it into a movie instead! Go figure. Anywho, thanks Steph!




I loved looking at my peers' digital stories. Each one was unique and had something different to offer to students. I liked how the group read things together in Tara's story. This could help develop collaboration between the students in our future classrooms. I loved the pictures that were used in Mallory's story and then the tie to teacher and her students at the end. Both of these stories were by the same author and I liked them both so I think I'll have to look into reading some more of his books. I also thought that the music in the background really added to the mood of the movie. I also watched one of "Where the Wild Things Are" and it had some pretty scary background music that set the tone for the rest of the storytelling. I also watched a book trailer for "Charlotte's Web." It was nice to see something different besides just telling a story. It was creative and fun. Definitely an idea that can easily be applied in the classroom. For example, students might be grouped into different reading levels and be reading different books. Using photostory, each group could create a book trailer for the book that they read. This allows for creativity and time for them to learn how to work together in groups. It would also be a good, creative way to assess if the students understood what they read. Creating a book trailer would probably be more efficient to assess because you don't have to create anything besides the photo story if you are just story telling.

No comments: